On June 30th, the Oregon Legislature adjourned Sine Die from the 2019 Legislative Session, resulting in omnibus gun control Senate Bill 978 being officially defeated.
If your Senator is on the list below, please click the "Take Action" button to thank them and Senate Minority Leader Baertschiger for fighting hard on behalf of law-abiding Oregonians to defeat SB 978 and prevent the passage of any anti-gun legislation this session.
District 1, Sen. Dallas Heard
District 2, Sen. Herman Baertschiger
District 9, Sen. Fred Girod
District 12, Sen. Brian Boquist
District 13, Sen. Kim Thatcher
District 16, Sen. Betsy Johnson
District 20, Sen. Alan Olsen
District 26, Sen. Chuck Thomsen
District 27, Sen. Tim Knopp
District 28, Sen. Dennis Linthicum
District 29, Sen. Bill Hansell
District 30, Sen. Cliff Bentz
Additionally, thank you to the NRA members and Second Amendment supporters who attended committee hearings, attended one or more of NRA-ILA’s Oregon Grassroots Workshops, or contacted their legislators throughout the session.
Senate Bill 978 would have:
- Legalized age discrimination for firearm dealers to allow them to refuse service to young adults for no reason other than being under the age of 21.
- Imposed a one-size-fits-all government solution for firearm storage and require them to be made unavailable for self-defense.
- Further victimized gun owners who have suffered a loss or theft of their property with criminal penalties if they fail to follow certain requirements when reporting them, including holding the gun owner strictly liable for the future illegal acts committed by criminals using the stolen firearm.
- Ended the centuries old practice of home manufacturing firearms for lawful, personal use.
- Allowed local governments to create “gun-free zones” in public buildings, colleges, and airports where law-abiding citizens are disarmed and left defenseless against criminals who ignore such arbitrary boundaries.
- Increased the fee to apply for a Concealed Handgun License.
Please stay tuned to www.nraila.org and your email inbox for further updates on issues affecting our Second Amendment rights in Oregon.