Today, the Oregon Senate Minority Caucus left the Capitol building and are refusing to attend floor sessions in order to prevent a quorum on certain pieces of legislation. Because of this, anti-gun legislators are now threatening to bring back the omnibus gun control package, Senate Bill 978, by forcing a floor vote should enough Senators return to the Capitol. In order to prevent SB 978 from being considered, a quorum must not be reached for the remainder of the legislative session, which is to run through June 30th.
If your state Senator is on the list below, please thank them for fighting hard on behalf of law-abiding Oregonians, and encourage them to stand strong in order to prevent a floor vote on this egregious piece of gun control legislation.
District 1, Sen. Dallas Heard
District 2, Sen. Herman Baertschiger
District 9, Sen. Fred Girod
District 12, Sen. Brian Boquist
District 13, Sen. Kim Thatcher
District 20, Sen. Alan Olsen
District 26, Sen. Chuck Thomsen
District 27, Sen. Tim Knopp
District 28, Sen. Dennis Linthicum
District 29, Sen. Bill Hansell
District 30, Sen. Cliff Bentz
Senate Bill 978 would:
- Legalize age discrimination for firearm dealers to allow them to refuse service to young adults for no reason other than being under the age of 21.
- Impose a one-size-fits-all government solution for firearm storage and require them to be made unavailable for self-defense.
- Further victimize gun owners who have suffered a loss or theft of their property with criminal penalties if they fail to follow certain requirements when reporting them, including holding the gun owner strictly liable for the future illegal acts committed by criminals using the stolen firearm.
- End the centuries old practice of home manufacturing firearms for lawful, personal use.
- Allow local governments to create “gun-free zones” in public buildings, colleges, and airports where law-abiding citizens are disarmed and left defenseless against criminals who ignore such arbitrary boundaries
- Increase the fee to apply for a Concealed Handgun License.
Again, please thank your state Senator if they are preventing SB 978 from moving forward.