Explore The NRA Universe Of Websites

APPEARS IN Legal & Legislation

Florida Alert! Florida Supreme Court Ends Decades-Old Evidence Standard

Thursday, May 14, 2020

 

DATE: May 14, 2020
TO: USF & NRA Members and Friends
FROM: Marion P. Hammer
  USF Executive Director
  NRA Past President

 

 

JUSTICES END DECADES-OLD EVIDENCE STANDARD

 
May 14, 2020
Jim Saunders
 
TALLAHASSEE --- As it upheld the conviction of a Northeast Florida man in the grisly murder of his estranged wife, the state Supreme Court on Thursday tossed out a decades-old legal standard about circumstantial evidence in criminal appeals.
 
The court’s four-member majority said the change would lead to Florida joining federal courts and most other states in how judges weigh cases that only involve circumstantial evidence.
 
“For many years, Florida has been an outlier in that we have used a different standard to evaluate evidence on appeal in a wholly circumstantial evidence case than in a case with some direct evidence,” said the opinion shared by Chief Justice Charles Canady and justices Ricky Polston, Alan Lawson and Carlos Muniz.
 
But Justice Jorge Labarga dissented on changing the legal standard, writing that the Supreme Court for more than a century has “applied a more stringent standard of review in reviewing convictions supported only by circumstantial evidence.” He said the longtime standard would have led to upholding the conviction of Sean Alonzo Bush, the defendant in Thursday’s case.
 
“Yet today, this court eliminates another reasonable safeguard in our death penalty jurisprudence and in Florida’s criminal law across the board,” Labarga wrote. “Circumstantial evidence is a vital evidentiary tool, and the admission of such evidence is commonly relied on by the state to establish its case-in-chief. However, circumstantial evidence is inherently different from direct evidence in a manner that warrants heightened consideration on appellate review.”
 
In the underlying case Thursday, the court upheld the conviction and death sentence of Bush, who was accused of brutally murdering his estranged wife, Nicole, in 2011 in the Julington Creek area of St. Johns County. An autopsy showed that the victim suffered six gunshot wounds, including five to the head, and was stabbed and beaten, including suffering three blows to the head that split her skull.
 
The gun and the weapon used to stab Nicole Bush were never found, and authorities did not have direct evidence that the estranged husband committed the murder. But authorities developed large amounts of circumstantial evidence, including about issues such as a life-insurance policy that named him as a beneficiary.
 
A jury convicted Bush based on the circumstantial evidence, ultimately resulting in his death sentence. While his attorneys raised a series of arguments in the appeal, all five Supreme Court justice agreed the evidence was adequate to uphold his conviction.
 
“During the months leading up to the murder, Bush was in severe financial distress, unable to pay his rent on time, responsible for paying child support, and asking others for money,” Thursday’s opinion said. “Bush expressed that he was ‘broke as a joke’ and low on cash. Bush was the beneficiary of Nicole’s $815,240 life insurance policy, and he was aware for some time prior to the murder that he had been designated as the policy beneficiary. Several weeks after the murder, Bush called to confirm his beneficiary status and subsequently submitted a claim for the policy proceeds. Because a rational trier of fact could, and did, find from this evidence that Bush committed the first-degree murder of Nicole under both premeditated and felony murder theories, Bush is not entitled to relief.”
 
The court majority, however, also used the case as a springboard to abandon what it called a “special appellate standard” in circumstantial-evidence cases. It said that decades ago “all federal courts and almost all state courts instructed juries using a special standard when the evidence of a defendant’s guilt presented at trial was circumstantial.”
 
But after the U.S. Supreme Court in 1954 called the standard into question, federal courts and most states stopped using the special standard, Thursday’s opinion said. Florida stopped using the standard to instruct juries in 1981 but continued to use it in considering criminal appeals.
 
Quoting a lower-court decision, Thursday’s opinion gave a definition of the special standard: “Where the only proof of guilt is circumstantial, no matter how strongly the evidence may suggest guilt, a conviction cannot be sustained unless the evidence is inconsistent with any reasonable hypothesis of innocence.”
 
But the majority described that standard as confusing and said appellate courts in circumstantial-evidence cases should use a standard like in cases with at least some direct evidence ---- “whether the state presented competent, substantial evidence to support the verdict.”
 
Thursday’s opinion was at least the third time in the past year that the Supreme Court has reversed course on decisions made by justices in the past. Last May, it changed a decision about controversial expert-witness standards in lawsuits and in January backed away from a decision that required unanimous jury recommendations before murder defendants could be sentenced to death.
 
The changes have come after conservatives became a majority of the court in early 2019. Longtime justices Barbara Pariente, R. Fred Lewis and Peggy Quince, who had been part of left-leaning majority, left the court in January 2019 because of a mandatory retirement age, allowing remaining conservative justices and Republican Gov. Ron DeSantis to reshape the court.
 

 

IN THIS ARTICLE
Florida Second Amendment
TRENDING NOW
ATF Director Corrects Gun Control Advocates on Regulatory Reform

News  

Monday, August 17, 2026

ATF Director Corrects Gun Control Advocates on Regulatory Reform

In a stark departure from the last administration, the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives is taking gun control advocates to task for their sensationalist rhetoric and questionable legal claims. 

DOJ’s Post Office Directive Marks Another Second Amendment Milestone

News  

Monday, August 17, 2026

DOJ’s Post Office Directive Marks Another Second Amendment Milestone

For decades, federal law and United States Postal Service regulations turned one of the most ordinary stops in American life, your local post office, into a federal “gun free zone.”  That changed on August 12 with ...

Questions and Answers About the Texas NFA Case

News  

Monday, August 17, 2026

Questions and Answers About the Texas NFA Case

On August 12, we reported on an important development in the ongoing litigation over the National Firearms Act (NFA) filed by multiple plaintiffs in U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Texas. These included, ...

Federal Court Strikes Down NFA Registration Requirements for Suppressors, Short-Barreled Rifles, and Short-Barreled Shotguns in NRA Case

Wednesday, August 5, 2026

Federal Court Strikes Down NFA Registration Requirements for Suppressors, Short-Barreled Rifles, and Short-Barreled Shotguns in NRA Case

In another major victory for the National Rifle Association and law-abiding gun owners, the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Texas today held that the National Firearms Act’s registration and approval requirements for ...

What Does the Texas NFA Decision Mean for You?

News  

Wednesday, August 12, 2026

What Does the Texas NFA Decision Mean for You?

On August 5, 2026, Judge Wesley Hendrix of the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Texas held that the National Firearms Act’s registration and approval requirements for suppressors, short-barreled rifles, and short-barreled shotguns ...

NRA Joins Legal Fight Against Colorado’s Permit-to-Purchase Law for Semiautomatic Firearms

Wednesday, August 12, 2026

NRA Joins Legal Fight Against Colorado’s Permit-to-Purchase Law for Semiautomatic Firearms

The National Rifle Association has joined the legal fight against SB25-003, Colorado’s permit-to-purchase scheme for certain semiautomatic firearms.

Meet the New Far Left; Same as the Establishment Left on Guns

News  

Monday, August 17, 2026

Meet the New Far Left; Same as the Establishment Left on Guns

Primary election season is winding down, and the final slates of candidates in most states have emerged ahead of the 2026 fall elections. Second Amendment issues may or may not have been front in center ...

NRA Files Lawsuit Challenging New York’s Glock Ban

Friday, August 14, 2026

NRA Files Lawsuit Challenging New York’s Glock Ban

The National Rifle Association, Second Amendment Foundation, Firearms Policy Coalition, the Firing Pin, LLC, and NRA members Lucas Nelson and Daniel Geary filed a lawsuit today challenging New York’s ban on Glock and “Glock-style” handguns.

In Memoriam: Second Amendment Champion Allan Cors, 1936-2026

News  

Monday, August 17, 2026

In Memoriam: Second Amendment Champion Allan Cors, 1936-2026

The Second Amendment lost one of its most ardent, longest-serving defenders on August 9 when past NRA President Allan D. Cors died.  He was a lifelong shooter, a dedicated collector, an avid hunter, and, perhaps above ...

California: Multiple Anti-Gun Bills Still Alive as Legislature Enters Final Week

Friday, August 21, 2026

California: Multiple Anti-Gun Bills Still Alive as Legislature Enters Final Week

The California Legislature enters its final full week of the 2026 Legislative Session on Monday, with several anti-gun bills eligible for floor votes. The most egregious bills include AB 2047, which further restricts the use ...

MORE TRENDING +
LESS TRENDING -

More Like This From Around The NRA

NRA ILA

Established in 1975, the Institute for Legislative Action (ILA) is the "lobbying" arm of the National Rifle Association of America. ILA is responsible for preserving the right of all law-abiding individuals in the legislative, political, and legal arenas, to purchase, possess and use firearms for legitimate purposes as guaranteed by the Second Amendment to the U.S. Constitution.