Explore The NRA Universe Of Websites

APPEARS IN News

Canada Announces New Gun Bans, More Gun Control on the Horizon

Monday, December 9, 2024

Canada Announces New Gun Bans, More Gun Control on the Horizon

On December 5, at a late afternoon press conference in Ottawa, Canada’s federal Public Safety Minister Dominic LeBlanc announced that 324 additional makes and variants of rifles would be added to the 2020 list of over 1,500 so-called “assault-style firearms,” being semiautomatic guns that Liberal Prime Minister Justin Trudeau and his officials had dramatically and disingenuously described as “military grade assault weapons.” These added guns, said LeBlanc via video-link at the press conference, “are made for battlefields, not for hunting.”

As was the case when the initial ban was announced in May 2020, the ban takes effect “immediately.” These firearms may no longer be lawfully used, sold, or imported into Canada, and may only be transported or transferred “under extremely limited circumstances.” (Prohibited firearms previously classified as non-restricted may be used for hunting pursuant to an aboriginal or treaty right, or for sustenance hunting or trapping pending a compliant replacement firearm being acquired.)  

In what has become a characteristic of the slapdash way that the Trudeau government has dealt with its bans, a reporter at the December 5 event noted that a list of the newly illegal guns was not available or included in their materials. “None of us have seen the list…Can somebody please give us an indication of which specific makes and models are now banned…?” RCMP Deputy Commissioner Bryan Larkin responded that “the list will be circulated very shortly.” (A commenter on the X account of the Canadian gun rights site TheGunBlog.ca observed that the RCMP website on gun transfers was, however, shut down for “maintenance” at the same time that the press conference began.)

LeBlanc indicated the new list had been compiled after “robust consultation with experts from the RCMP.” The list has since been posted online by LeBlanc’s department, Public Safety Canada, and includes several .22 caliber rimfire rifles (so much for the RCMP’s “expertise” on what constitutes “battlefield” ready).

The amnesty period, due to expire on October 30, 2025, and the mandatory surrender and compensation (“buyback”) that governs guns on the 2020 list will apply to the newly-added firearms as well.  

LeBlanc also stated that the first phase of the so-called “buyback,” for firearm businesses, has moved forward. According to the government, the first phase “has already begun with a few businesses for testing and will be open to all firearms businesses across the country in the next few days.” LeBlanc outlined a new development in this respect – that as “part of that process, the government has committed to the Ukrainian government to identify whether some of these guns could be donated to support the fight for democracy in Ukraine.” Minister of National Defense Bill Blair added that the “Department of National Defense would begin working with the Canadian companies that have weapons that Ukraine needs and which are already eligible for the assault-style compensation program in order to get these weapons out of Canada and into the hands of the Ukrainians.” The participation is apparently optional, as the companies that “choose to participate in this initiative” are eligible for the same amount of government compensation as other businesses participating in the “buyback.”

“Our work isn’t finished,” LeBlanc said. New regulations would be offered on December 13 “to ensure that no firearm can come into Canada or be sold in Canada without first being approved by the RCMP,” an “evergreen” way of imposing firearm bans in the future. Further, a panel of experts would be created “to support the RCMP…who would look at the classification of firearms that are not a part of the models that are currently prohibited…and we will take additional measures in order to further restrict access to those firearms.”    

The government statement accompanying the list of newly banned guns advises that the “Government also continues to act to fully implement former Bill C-21, with remaining provisions to come into force early in the new year. In particular, no later than January 2025, the Government intends to table measures in Parliament to address the rates of gun violence in situations of gender-based and intimate partner violence. Regulations to implement the new yellow flag laws will also be introduced this Spring. In addition, the Government will also introduce regulations concerning large-capacity magazines in March 2025.”

All of this seems like desperate, performative posturing by a political party that is poised to lose big in the next federal election. Even without the new list, the implementation of the confiscation and compensation program for individual gun owners is already a massive boondoggle. The latest issue, a plan to have gun owners surrender their guns by shipping them using the post office, was stymied when Canada Post officials demurred on security and safety grounds; all that became completely moot once Canada Post employees went (and remain) on strike in November.

LeBlanc has consistently refrained from giving a start date for the individual “buyback” program and that didn’t change with the December 5 event. As indicated, phase 1, the business confiscations, hasn’t yet “fully launched;” Minister of Public Services Jean-Yves Duclos said on December 5 that “a pilot program that has been running for the past month has collected and destroyed a ‘couple dozen’ guns.”

Conservative Member of Parliament Raquel Dancho (Kildonan-St.Paul), the Shadow Minister for Public Safety, responded to the ban. Under Trudeau’s Liberal government, she said, “[v]iolent crime has exploded over 50% and gun crime has surged 116%, but “[i]nstead of locking up criminals and reversing his laws that have contributed to the alarming explosion of crime in our country, Trudeau chose to attack lawful and vetted hunters, sport shooters, and Indigenous Peoples who safely and legally use firearms as they have done for generations.”

As we’ve noted time and again (here, here, here, here and here for instance), Trudeau’s government launched its gun ban and mandatory confiscation scheme with no implementation plan in place, with taxpayers facing an increasing and unwelcome price tag for enforcement and compensation that is likely to exceed billions of dollars. TheGunBlog.ca points out that the government has already missed all of its previous confiscation milestones, and twice delayed the amnesty deadline. “They had hoped to complete it 2.5 years ago, and have yet to begin.” It predicts that affected “firearm owners have no intention or incentive to surrender their goods to a political regime that will almost certainly be out of office before the confiscation deadline of 30 October 2025.”

TRENDING NOW
Virginia: Spanberger Doubles Down on Semi-Auto Ban, NRA Doubles Down on Lawsuits

Thursday, May 14, 2026

Virginia: Spanberger Doubles Down on Semi-Auto Ban, NRA Doubles Down on Lawsuits

On the night of May 14th, Governor Spanberger once again proved she has no concern for the 2nd Amendment by signing SB749/HB217 - legislation that bans certain semi-automatic firearms, including many semi-automatic rifles, pistols and ...

New York Times Acknowledges Semi-Auto Rifles Aren’t Just Common, But “Ubiquitous”

News  

Monday, May 18, 2026

New York Times Acknowledges Semi-Auto Rifles Aren’t Just Common, But “Ubiquitous”

In the landmark U.S. Supreme Court case District of Columbia v. Heller (2008), that acknowledged the Second Amendment protects the individual right to keep and bear arms, Justice Antonin Scalia noted some of the arms ...

Reading, Writing and Overreacting: Tiny Toy Leads to School “Weapon” Suspension

News  

Monday, May 18, 2026

Reading, Writing and Overreacting: Tiny Toy Leads to School “Weapon” Suspension

Parents and others have expressed concerns over a continuing decline in student literacy rates and math skills. At the same time, there’s a worrying erosion of common sense and critical thinking on the part of ...

New Jersey: Attorney General Sends Subpoenas to Statewide FFLs Seeking Customer Records

Saturday, May 16, 2026

New Jersey: Attorney General Sends Subpoenas to Statewide FFLs Seeking Customer Records

Last year, the New Jersey Attorney General’s Office filed a lawsuit against Glock, Inc. under the state’s public nuisance law. This week, in connection with that lawsuit, FFLs across the state started receiving subpoenas demanding ...

Massachusetts Officials Embrace Gun Control, Avoid Crime Control, and Force Citizen Action

News  

Monday, May 18, 2026

Massachusetts Officials Embrace Gun Control, Avoid Crime Control, and Force Citizen Action

Massachusetts has among the most restrictive gun control laws in the country. The Bay State is one of an exceedingly small group of states, along with Illinois, to require a license to merely own any ...

Tell Your Member of Congress to Protect Veterans Second Amendment Rights!

News  

Friday, May 15, 2026

Tell Your Member of Congress to Protect Veterans Second Amendment Rights!

The U.S. House of Representatives is expected to vote as early as next week on the Veterans 2nd Amendment Protection Act.

Expand Self-Defense? Cue the Hysteria

News  

Monday, May 18, 2026

Expand Self-Defense? Cue the Hysteria

It should come as no surprise to anyone who follows the debate over gun control that anti-gun messaging has not changed much over the years

Illinois: Semi-Auto "Glock Ban" Bill Hearing Tomorrow!

Tuesday, May 19, 2026

Illinois: Semi-Auto "Glock Ban" Bill Hearing Tomorrow!

Tomorrow, May 20th, the House Gun Violence Prevention Committee will hold a hearing on House Bill 4417.

Sloppy Research and Inaccurate Citations Undermine Bruen’s Historical Standard

News  

Monday, May 18, 2026

Sloppy Research and Inaccurate Citations Undermine Bruen’s Historical Standard

For better and for worse, Second Amendment and firearms related law, especially over the past 20 years, has developed into an extraordinarily dense and complex legal field.

NRA Announces State Lawsuit Challenging Virginia’s “Assault Firearm” and Magazine Bans

Thursday, May 14, 2026

NRA Announces State Lawsuit Challenging Virginia’s “Assault Firearm” and Magazine Bans

Today, the National Rifle Association announced the filing of a state lawsuit challenging Virginia’s newly enacted bans on “assault firearms” and magazines capable of holding more than 15 rounds.

MORE TRENDING +
LESS TRENDING -

More Like This From Around The NRA

NRA ILA

Established in 1975, the Institute for Legislative Action (ILA) is the "lobbying" arm of the National Rifle Association of America. ILA is responsible for preserving the right of all law-abiding individuals in the legislative, political, and legal arenas, to purchase, possess and use firearms for legitimate purposes as guaranteed by the Second Amendment to the U.S. Constitution.