Thanks to diligent work by your NRA, an Obama administration policy that would have essentially stopped American hunters and sport shooters from traveling internationally with their personal firearms and ammunition has been suspended. The U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) has announced that it is returning to its previous system of facilitating the international transport of personal firearms and ammunition, after meeting with representatives from the NRA, firearms industry and sportsmen's groups, and key members of Congress.
"We are pleased that we have been able to reverse a bureaucratic nightmare that would have jeopardized the freedoms of law-abiding gun owners," said Chris W. Cox, NRA-ILA Executive Director
"We are pleased that we have been able to reverse a bureaucratic nightmare that would have jeopardized the freedoms of law-abiding gun owners," said Chris W. Cox, executive director of the NRA's Institute for Legislative Action. "On behalf of our five million members, I want to thank Senator John Hoeven and Representatives John Carter and Chris Stewart for their work to protect American hunters and sport shooters from a web of bureaucratic red-tape when traveling outside the United States."
CBP recently began enforcing an almost three-year-old regulatory change requiring Americans traveling abroad to comply with commercial export requirements when transporting firearms and ammunition outside the U.S. for personal use. Under these requirements, in order to take personal firearms and ammunition to another country on a temporary visit, the individual would have to register the firearm in the Automated Export System (AES), after completing a 30 question test with 34 pages of user instructions, and provide an internal transaction number to CBP.
As the AES is designed for commercial exporters, it requires all users to obtain an Employer Identification Number (EIN) from the IRS in order to use the system. According to the IRS, however, EINs are issued for business purposes, and applicants have to specify a business reason for obtaining one. This left private American hunters and sport shooters with no recourse for compliance. In its announcement suspending use of AES for temporary exports, CBP affirmed that it will allow international travelers with firearms to use the same paper system they have used for years, while it works with the Department of State on a more user-friendly automated system.
This is the second high-profile defeat of a proposed Obama administration anti-gun policy in recent months. Earlier this year, the NRA led the effort to defeat an attempt by the Bureau of Alcohol, Firearms, Tobacco, and Explosives to ban commonly used rifle ammunition.
"It is clear that in the final years of his presidency, President Obama will stop at nothing to push his gun control agenda. This merely underscores the importance of electing a pro-Second Amendment president in 2016," concluded Cox.
To learn more about the NRA's efforts to resolve this issue, please click here.
Good News for American Hunters and Sport Shooters as NRA Thwarts Obama Administration Policy
Friday, May 1, 2015
Monday, August 17, 2026
On August 12, we reported on an important development in the ongoing litigation over the National Firearms Act (NFA) filed by multiple plaintiffs in U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Texas. These included, ...
Wednesday, August 12, 2026
On August 5, 2026, Judge Wesley Hendrix of the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Texas held that the National Firearms Act’s registration and approval requirements for suppressors, short-barreled rifles, and short-barreled shotguns ...
Monday, August 17, 2026
For decades, federal law and United States Postal Service regulations turned one of the most ordinary stops in American life, your local post office, into a federal “gun free zone.” That changed on August 12 with ...
Monday, August 17, 2026
In a stark departure from the last administration, the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives is taking gun control advocates to task for their sensationalist rhetoric and questionable legal claims.
Friday, August 14, 2026
The National Rifle Association, Second Amendment Foundation, Firearms Policy Coalition, the Firing Pin, LLC, and NRA members Lucas Nelson and Daniel Geary filed a lawsuit today challenging New York’s ban on Glock and “Glock-style” handguns.
More Like This From Around The NRA




















