The term "gun buyback" is a misnomer, in that a government cannot buy back something that it never owned in the first place. However, in Santa Fe, N.M., organizers of a city-sponsored event billed as a gun "buyback" even managed to get the "buy" part wrong, and violated the privacy of the participants in the process.
The Santa Fe turn-ins (a more apt term) were held on Jan. 12 and Feb. 9, and after running out of the $25,000 in debit cards allotted for the event, organizers began issuing I.O.U.s. Participants' names, telephone numbers, addresses and firearms were recorded, with the promise that they would receive payment for their guns shortly. Lino Ortiz, who turned in two handguns at the Feb. 9 event, told local media in an article that appeared on the 19th, "I've yet to be compensated for it. They said they would have us a debit card last week, but I called the Finance Department, and the lady down there told me, 'Well, we still haven't gotten them yet.'"
Adding insult to injury, the list of the dozens of people who received I.O.U.s was then made part of the public record when it was distributed at a Santa Fe City Council Finance Committee meeting on Feb. 18. Democratic State Legislator Brian Egolf (D-47), who turned in guns at the event, was among those upset with release of the information, stating, "My concern is, for those who do wish to remain anonymous, that there be a way for them to do so and for them to be able to rely on the city's assertion that they'll remain anonymous." Police Chief Ray Rael was surprised at the release of the personal information, having been told that participant anonymity would be respected, stating, "It shouldn't have happened, but it did... I apologize on behalf of the city, I don't think that information should've been out there."
Such turn-in events serve as propaganda for gun controllers, are a burden on the taxpayer, and serve no public safety purpose. A January 4 National Institute of Justice memo outlining President Obama's gun control options states, "Gun buybacks are ineffective as generally implemented." The author goes on to point out, "The guns turned in are at low risk of ever being used in a crime."
Research on the failure of gun turn-ins is nothing new. A 1994 study that appeared in Public Health Reports noted changes in firearm related crimes following a turn-in campaign in Seattle "were not statistically significant." In a 1996 article published by the Police Executive Research Forum, Florida State University criminologist Gary Kleck makes clear, "Existing empirical information provides no basis for believing that gun buy-back programs reduce violence of any kind." And in 2000, Harvard researcher David Kennedy noted that turn-ins "do very little good… The pool of guns that get turned in in buybacks are simply not the same guns that would otherwise have been used in crime."
Seemingly, the only winner in the Santa Fe turn-ins was one anonymous gun owner who explained his take on turn-ins to the local media. The man noted how he turned-in an old non-functioning shotgun, then explained, "I got that $100 gift card and, in turn, I went to Sportsman's Warehouse and I put that $100 toward a Springfield Armory XD .40-caliber."
Gun Turn-in Participants Miss Out on Cash, Have Privacy Violated
Friday, February 22, 2013
Monday, August 17, 2026
On August 12, we reported on an important development in the ongoing litigation over the National Firearms Act (NFA) filed by multiple plaintiffs in U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Texas. These included, ...
Wednesday, August 12, 2026
On August 5, 2026, Judge Wesley Hendrix of the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Texas held that the National Firearms Act’s registration and approval requirements for suppressors, short-barreled rifles, and short-barreled shotguns ...
Monday, August 17, 2026
For decades, federal law and United States Postal Service regulations turned one of the most ordinary stops in American life, your local post office, into a federal “gun free zone.” That changed on August 12 with ...
Monday, August 17, 2026
In a stark departure from the last administration, the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives is taking gun control advocates to task for their sensationalist rhetoric and questionable legal claims.
Friday, August 14, 2026
The National Rifle Association, Second Amendment Foundation, Firearms Policy Coalition, the Firing Pin, LLC, and NRA members Lucas Nelson and Daniel Geary filed a lawsuit today challenging New York’s ban on Glock and “Glock-style” handguns.
More Like This From Around The NRA



















